Graduate Admissions Criteria
The NYU School of Professional Studies Office of Admissions carefully weighs each component of your application during the admissions review process. We use this approach to evaluate your ability to benefit from and contribute to the dynamic learning environment and the challenging curriculum that the School offers.
The following criteria will help you to better understand the admissions process and the types of information that are required to be submitted to the Office of Admissions in addition to your completed online application.
Evaluated for evidence of an applicant’s motivation for admission and fit for the program. Key indicators include:
- Demonstrable progress in your academic and/or professional career
- Clearly articulated goals and objectives that align with the mission of the program
Evaluated for experience and skills, which would allow for academic and professional success. We consider the following when assessing your field-related experience:
- Professional experience—either full-time or part-time job in the industry or relevant internship(s)
- Career changers also are evaluated for the transferrable skills they have developed in their current profession
- Public service engagements
- Professional associations/affiliations
- Is optional should you wish to provide further evidence of academic potential.
- May be required for a thorough evaluation. The Admissions Committee therefore reserves the right to request a test score.
Note: Successful candidates have met the recommended combined score of 310 or 1100 on the GRE or 550 on the GMAT.
Recommendations (two letters)
Evaluated for evidence of potential success during your course of study at the NYU School of Professional Studies and after graduation. Key indicators include:
- Professional achievements
- Contributions made on the job
- Skills developed and knowledge acquired on the job as well as challenge areas
- Professional and/or academic recommendations
Evaluated by reviewing your transcripts from all prior colleges and universities attended.
Performance in relevant course work is evaluated as well as achievement levels in your academic career.
Note: Successful candidates normally meet the recommended 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA.
Are not required. However, the Admissions Committee may request an interview after reviewing your application. If you are invited for an interview, it will then be a required component of the application process.
Of $150 must be included with your application. The fee for an online application can only be paid by major credit card.
International applicants greatly enrich our community and are encouraged to apply. Additional criteria for international students include:
Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials
If requested by the Office of Admissions, each foreign transcript must also be evaluated for equivalency to the US educational system for admission and transfer credit purposes. Evaluations are acceptable only from evaluation services recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. Please request a course-by-course evaluation.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Scores
TOEFL scores are required for applicants who did not complete an undergraduate degree in the United States or in a country where the only primary language is English.
- Minimum scores are 110 on the Internet-based test, 250 on the computer-based test, or 600 on the paper-based test.
- IELTS can be submitted in place of the TOEFL; the recommended minimum score is a 7.0.
NYU School of Professional Studies English Language Assessment
International applicants who do not meet the minimum TOEFL scores are required to participate in the English Language Assessment consisting of an online test and an interview administered by the NYU School of Professional Studies Office of Assessment. Participation in this assessment will result in scores, which will be reported to the Office of Admissions. International applicants must have submitted an application in order to register for the English Language Assessment; the fee to register for the assessment is $150.
Based upon your score on the English Language Assessment, one of three possible outcomes will occur:
- You will satisfy the NYU School of Professional Studies English Proficiency Level requirement and will qualify to register for full-time degree study.
- You will be conditionally admitted and you will be permitted to enroll in part-time degree course work as you complete the required English language support courses.
- You will not meet the minimum score requirements or the School's other admissions criteria and you will be required to reapply at a later date.
Please review the English Language Assessment Procedures for information on how to register for the test.
Note: If you are requesting an English Language Assessment waiver, do not submit your TOEFL score or register for the NYUSPS English exam until you have received confirmation from the Admissions Office regarding your waiver request. English Language Assessment waivers must be submitted in writing to email@example.com after the application has been submitted.
Please Note: The NYU School of Professional Studies reserves the right to request a TOEFL, IELTS, or English language assessment conducted by ALI from a US citizen or permanent resident if their primary language is not English.
Ready To Proceed?